Hi,

        I'm afraid I don't quite understand your question. The kernel
 does nothing special for libc6 dependent stuff. As long as you have
 the shared library installed, the executables that depend on them
 will work, even with older kernels.

        The kernel has nothing to do with the locales problems (in
 other wordsZ: recompiling will not solve your problems). What version
 of the locales package do you have?

        manoj

__> dpkg -l \*locale\*
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge
||/ Name            Version        Description
+++-===============-==============-============================================
un  localebin       <none>         (no description available)
ii  locales         2.0.4-1        Locale data files and utilities.
pn  wg15-locale     <none>         (no description available)
__> dpkg -s locales
Package: locales
 Contains utilities and machine-readable files used by the C library
 to internationalization.

--
 Caesar had his Brutus--Charles the First, his Cromwell--and George
 the Third ("Treason!" cried the Speaker)--may profit by their