On Mon, 21 Jul 1997, David M wrote:

> I have installed, using the rescue, drivers and base diskettes the Debian
> Linux on my PC.  Nevertheless because the driver for my NIC (3C905-TX) is
> not current as of 1.3 release, my networking is disabled (I have to get a
> patch; that's a all new story... it's been giving me a headache to but
> I'll get there eventually).

Get on a net-connected machine and get the updated 3c59x.c (pointer in the
ethernet howto).  Toss it on a floppy, and haul it to your box.  Recompile
using the kernel-package package.  Toss that on the floppy as well, if you
don't have it.

make-kpkg was nice and simple to use.  It was as simple as:

cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig (and configure the kernel the way I wanted)
make-kpkg clean
make-kpkg --zimage -revision custom.1.0
cd ..
dpkg -i <the debian package I just made>
sync;reboot

> I have noticed that there are lotza man pages in my basic setup but no
> 'man' command to read them. :-)

You installed the manpages package, and presumably groff, but not the man
package?  You didn't choose to do that, so, go ahead and install it.

Jason Costomiris                 | Finger for PGP 2.6.2 Public Key
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                 | "There is a fine line between idiocy
My employers like me, but not    | and genius.  We aim to erase that line"
enough to let me speak for them. |                      --Unknown

                        http://www.jasons.org/~jcostom