From: Carey Evans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> How would this apply to kernel firewalling (leaving aside that I live
> in NZ)?  Would reject be OK and deny not?

An immediate reject would be fine. The most important thing (to a U.S. user)
is to inform _all_ users that you do not guarantee reliable delivery of
e-mail and that you do not guarantee that nobody will read their e-mail.
You might even want to put this in your /etc/motd.
This will remove some of your liability under the ECPA. However, even once
you have done that, you can go to jail for intercepting the e-mail of one
of your users and preventing it from being delivered without informing the
other party. Most writers of anti-spam software are blissfully ignorant of
this. Thus, do not cause it to time out in the message queue. Return an
SMTP error immediately, so that the other party is informed of non-delivery.

        Bruce
--
Can you get your operating system fixed when you need it?
Linux - the supportable operating system. http://www.debian.org/support.html