Pete Harlan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > It seems as if the mother board is a bit too new,
> > 7100-7113 and 1300 is unknown.
>
> I also had trouble like this (I don't remember the specific unknown
> numbers; the machine was a new Dec Venturis FX-2 with Pentium MMX).
> It disappeared when I installed Linus's (then-) latest patch,
> pre-2.0.31-6.  It seems that he included a lot more pci devices there.
>
> The real question is
>
> > Can I ignore the warnings?
>
> And the answer from me is, I wish I knew!  Our machine appeared to
> work fine despite the unknown devices.

These message about unknown devices means that the Linux kernel has
found devices that it didn't know about (yet).  In
/usr/src/linux/pci/pci.c is a table of PCI devices currently known to
Linux.  If you have a relativly new (or some kind of exotic) hardware
Linux can't find the PCI id in this table and issue a warning message.

You usually can ignore it but you will get problems if this devices
cannot be used because of being unknown.  For example, if you have a
really new PCI SCSI adapter which is unknown to Linux you probably
will be unable to access it.

        Torsten

--
"What a depressingly stupid machine"
                              The Restaurant at the End of the Universe