In your email to me, Dieter Rohlfing, you wrote:

> Tim Sailer wrote:
>
> > Do you have an early 2940 in the machine? I had this same problem,
> > and had to get a BIOS upgrade from Adaptek.
>
> It's revision B with BIOS 1.21

That's fairly recent I think..

> > The 2940 and it's chipset are considered beta, at best. I have a
> > production system with a 4 month old 2940 in it that runs
> > with no problem. Ny system at home, OTOH, has an 18 month old
> > 2940, and it panics about every 2 weeks. This is a problem with
> > the driver, not the distribution.
>
> That doesn't explain, why Caldera et.al don't have the problems debian

I have no idea what Caldera distributes for a kernel. Theirs may be
heavily patched with the new drivers. I can't speak for them.

> has. And what about the 2842? Beta, too? Both controller use the same
> chip, one is VLB, the other PCI. That's all.

If this is the case, then I'd say yes..

Tim

PS: I really don't understand the combative and agressive tone on
this list lately. If folks are not happy with Debian, there are
plenty of other distributions. If Caldera works for you, spend your
money, and be happy with what you get. As far as with Debian, how
much do you expect for *nothing*?

--
 (work) [EMAIL PROTECTED] / (home) [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.buoy.com/~tps