On Fri, 26 Sep 1997, Lawrence Lucier wrote:

> The Rescue/Base installation refuses to install LILO on my system.

What steps did you take to get here? The installation should be nearly
complete at this point. You made partitions, installed and configured the
kernel and drivers, installed and configured the base system?

So, what were the steps you followed to install LILO, and what error
messages, if any, did you recieve?

> The boot disk refuses to
> boot up because, AFAIK, LILO isn't installed on the harddrive.

The boot disk does not depend on LILO or the hard drive to boot up the
kernel. You will need a "valid" root file system for the kernel to mount
before the boot up can complete.

  Changed
> the reference in
> SYSLINUX.CFG on the floppy boot disk to:
>
> APPEND root=/dev/fd0 ro

No root file system here ;-)

> from
>
> APPEND root=/dev/hda6 ro

If this is actually where you installed the base system, what are the
other partitions like? (BTW, LILO will not install on an extended
partition AFAIK)

 > When prompted for the root floppy I used the file image floppy
generated by ROOT.BIN......still
> the system won't boot.

This is a compressed image and is typically uncompressed on a RAM disk, so
the arguments passed to the kernel are more complex than what you have
used. When using loadlin for this task the command line looks like:

        loadlin linux root=/dev/ram initrd=root.bin

If you use APPEND and have used rawrite2.exe to put the root.bin image
onto a floppy, you probably want to change the initrd to =/dev/fd0.

> OK, I thought did I, no problem, I will just do a LILO manual install
with the LILO_19-2.deb
> file I grabbed off the Debian site and tweak it from there.  Read the
information on dpkg and
> dselect in the debian and install docs.........booted the Rescue floppy
and went into the shell.

So, you can boot the rescue floppy! That's a start. It doesn't, however,
get you to your new system. The rescue floppy runs its own root file
system. You can mount your new system and look at and modify files on that
partition, but you don't have access to any tools not available at
installation time. This means you can't run dpkg/dselect from the rescue
disk.

> >From what I can see, neither dpkg or dselect is included (or can be
run from the shell) in the
> base installation setup.  (ARRRGGGGHHHHH..........did I mention yet
that I'm having fun?
> <grin>).
>

> I seemed to have reached a Catch-22 stage here and am no longer sure
how to proceed on
> rectifying this problem...........any words of wisdom for this confused
but enthusiastic newbie
> would be greatly appreciated.  :-)

Before we can do much more for you, we will need some details of the
installation as well as the failures you experienced.

Luck,

Dwarf

      e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     Tallahassee, FL  32308