I am still having a lot of trouble!  I have no trouble running:

'make xconfig', followed by
'make kpkg-clean',
'make-kpkg -r custom.1.0 kernel_image'
'dpkg -i /usr/src/kernel-image-2.0.30_custom.1.0_i386.deb'
'make modules'
'make modules_install'

        to create a custom kernel boot disk.  But I tried specifying
mouse/serial/parallel support as modules, and during boot the system
bitches that there are no modules/drivers available.  Then the systems
init xdm and the screen goes black (though the computer still responds
to keyboard input.)

        If anyone has any additional help, I'd greatly appreciate it!

                Stan