>The best chance of an answer is probably to post the questions
>to one of the developer lists, if that is where the experts are

Actually, I've always made a point of ignoring user questions on the
developers list, but I've *also* started putting more time in on
debian-user.  (I've also gotten a fair number of personal emails with
"help me set up X", which I've also redirected to debian-user...
Consider that although I'm the X maintainer, I have *one* debian X
system at home, and *one* such system at work [the heathens there run
redhat :-( :-)] and that means I *don't* have experience with lots of
varieties of X hardware, whereas someone else on debian-user might
have run into the same problem you did...)