Peter Prohaska writes:
> do I have to put the FQDN in [/etc/hostname]?

No.

> And where is that information used for if I've got that /etc/hosts file
> to handle local lookups.

It tells your machine what its own name is.

> If I have two interfaces with different IP-adds, it is also possible that
> my host is known with two different names, isn't it? So whats his
> hostname then?

My machine's hostname is hasler . 'hasler' must uniquely identify it on any
network to which it is directly attached. Its FQDN is hasler.dhh.gt.org .
This uniquely identifies it on the entire Internet. If it had another
network interface it would have a different FQDN there, such as
hasler.blorg.com .  This would also be unique on the Internet.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                  Do with it what you will.