I wish to thank all the responces which I received on my Xauthority problem. I
went looking for 'ssh' when I read it in the thread, but wasn't able to find
it in any package (bo system). Of note, I use the default 'bash' shell and
checked the variables (as suggested) :

XAUTHORITY=~/.Xauthority

I chased this down to a 'declare' statement in the /etc/profile file. Should I
change the location of the declaration to the ~/.bash_profile file? (and
change it to 'XAUTHORITY=~$USER/.Xauthority') ?

I see this Xauthority problem as a security hole and want to close it before
jumping "online".

--
-= Sent by Debian 1.3 Linux =-
Thomas Kocourek  KD4CIK