This is just some quick 'off the top of my head' sort of things...

First, the 'ramdisk' problem.  This is probably not caused by anything
associated with the booting process (though _can_ be--at least when
using LILO) but rather that the kernel is configured to use a 'ramdisk'
as root (/).  I use and have always used lilo so I am not very familiar
with the other methods.

You are probably already familiar with 'rdev' but if you can find your
debian kernel then you can tell that kernel to use whatever device/
partition you want.

What boot manager are you using if not lilo?

--
best,
-bill