Hi,
>>"mfrattola" == mfrattola  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> Hi, "mfrattola" == mfrattola <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

mfrattola> Am I right in thinking local is used only for localhost
mfrattola> bound mail? Where does all this magic come from? Do I have
mfrattola> to hand edit sendmail.conf by hand? (any m4 shortcut?)

        Yes. You can make believe more machines are local by adding to
 sendmail.cw, but then that mail shall be filed locally. This is not
 what you need.

mfrattola> Thank you for your answer. It seems to me (from other
mfrattola> messages) that smail is easier to manage WRT this problem
mfrattola> (with routers, directors and the like).  Problem is I don't
mfrattola> like smail (and recent problems with newer smail don't make
mfrattola> me like it more). What I'd like sendmail to do is:

mfrattola> localhost mail deliver locally don't rewrite header
mfrattola> LAN mail deliver thru eth0 don't rewrite header
mfrattola> internet mail deliver thru ppp0 rewrite header

        This is possible by
 a) defining mailers, and modifying sendmail.cf to add a inexpensive
    smtp mailer (copy the smtp mailers and call them lsmtp et akk
 b) look at ruleset 1 and prevent rewrites for the LAN, while allowing
    rewrites for external addresses

        The ppp vs eth0 should be handled by the networking setup, and
 should not be a part of the MTA's chores.

        This is easy if you grok sendmail.cf, like some of us
 oldtimers. Unfortunately, sendmail.cf mastery is a dying art. Oh,
 when it is written, it can be encapsulated into a m4 hack, so
 everyone else can just use that.

        manoj
 who still remembers evenings spent crafting version 5 sendmail.cf's
 with a host of cohorts
--
 One should not neglect one's own welfare for that of someone else,
 however great. When one has understood what one's own welfare really