On Fri, Mar 20, 1998 at 12:33:58AM -0300, Nelson Posse Lago wrote:
> I'd like to know if what Remco Blaakmeer mentioned is indeed the problem
> point, namely the fact that the developers are more interested in
> developing a great hacker system and not a general purpose user system
> and, if so, I'd appreciate a little more enlightnment on the pratical

That's not quite accurate. The conflict is not about technical
differences in the system so much, but that many developers
do not want to give up technical ground for marketing reasons.
There is no objection to a general purpose system, except
if marketing of the system is getting in the way of the technical aspects.

Like naming deity. Marketing says the name may offend some people.
Some developers like it because it fits in with Unix's daemons and
general character, it's a good name. Others don't mind what it is
but don't think we should name it for marketing reasons.

I hope I have summed this up accurately.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt       Mobile: +61 412 011 176       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Rising Software Australia Pty. Ltd.
Developers of music education software including Auralia & Musition.
31 Elmhurst Road, Blackburn, Victoria Australia, 3130
Phone: +61 3 9894 4788  Fax: +61 3 9894 3362  USA Toll Free: 1-888-667-7839
Internet: http://www.rising.com.au/