Andy wrote:
Kind of a newbie question here.
I really want to try Mozilla Calendar but I need Mozilla 1.2 first.
My apt-get tells me that my Mozilla 1.0.0 is already the newest
version. 4 questions please:

Should I just download and compile Mozilla 1.2 on my own?

I would like to stick with the Debian way but I have no choice here since I need 1.2 What are the implications of doing my own install?
If something is wrong with the newest mozilla how do I go back to the original debian Mozilla 1.0.0 package?

How long will it take for Mozilla 1.2 to become a stable
debian package so one can use apt-get?

Thanks,
Andy

My personal recommendation would be to just download the tarball directly from mozilla.org, untar it in your home directory[check where it untars to with tar tzf first, it may want to untar to bin in which case you may want to untar it in ~/mozilla or something], and then run the included mozilla script directly with an alias or symlink from ~/bin if you include that in your path. Installing xpi's into a package-managed mozilla can be tricky anyway so you will be killing two birds with one stone. If you want to go back to 1.0.0 all you have to do is delete the directory you created and/or reverse whatever you did to call the mozilla script by default since with this method you never actually uninstalled 1.0.0.