Andy wrote:

Your recommendation seemed to be the safest and easiest so I tried it and got the following error as I was not doing any symlinking
and just running from within the directory:

steelhead:/home/andy/mozilla# ./mozilla
./mozilla-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Do I need to install a shared library?

Wierd, I guess so, the library you need is probably libstdc++2.9-glibc2.1 which is in woody.

Now usually one has to do the ./configure, make, make install routine for
compiling new programs.  Why don't you have to do that with Mozilla?

Because you're not compiling it, you are just running the binary which is fairly self-contained. If you want to compile it just follow everyone else's suggestion. :)