Well, there are Web-based group calendaring solutions like
phpgroupware.  But I don't think there's anything tightly integrated
with mail.

I agree that this is a big missing piece in the Evolution etc. story.

Ximian sells a "connector" product that will let Evolution talk to an
Exchange 2000 server and act as a fully-featured Exchange client.  I've
never tried it because all our servers are still Exchange 5.5, but I've
heard good things about it.  Of course, this still sucks because you
have to have an Exchange server in the first place, but...