I posted earlier today about configuring smail . . . well, I gave up and
went back to my original problem with sendmail. As it turns out, it may
not be sendmail at fault. In my mail.log file, I get the following
message whenever I try to send mail to my main domain or receive mail
from there with fetchmail:

The following addresses have permanent fatal errors --
<root>

Transcript of session follows --
550 <root> . . . Host unknown (Name server: none: host not found)

It doesn't matter whether I am using my ethernet connection or dialing up
with ppp. I get the same thing. Also I get a long pause during startup
when trying to initiate sendmail. I get the following in mail.err:

My unqualified host name (debia) unknow; sleeping for retry
unable to qualify my own domain name (debian) -- using short name

That is where things stand. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Michael