On Tue, 16 Jun 1998 19:07:27 +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

>there are two cases where an upgrade can fail:

    A monty Python fan there, eh?

>1) You waited to long. It may be hard to upgrade a rexx system (although
>2) You changed the system in places unknown to dpkg. I'm not sure how much
>3) A bug in either a package or dpkg. Please report the bug, we'll try to

    ;)

>Please don't spread FUD about it.

    I love that term, FUD.  It implies an untruth.  It is true that people
have complained about a bo->hamm upgade on this list.

    Here is another truth.  I've got directories and files that were not
removed when a package was purged.  Easiest way to reclaim all this space,
aside from a few hours of searching the entire HD is to take about an hour to
just wipe the main static portions while leaving the dynamic portions alone.

>hamm manually, not only recently but also in earlier states of hamm. The
>success varied, but made me optimistic that mostly all users can upgrade
>easily (either using autoup.sh or apt) to hamm *without* reinstall.

    This goes against this:

>Yes, but *there is no need for a re-install*! Debian has a great and
>superior upgrading mechanism, and your system will update cleanly through
>every version, even major version changes.

    "The success varied" and "that mostly all users can upgrade easily...to
hamm *without* reinstall" also states that there were failures and that there
will be users who cannot uprgrade w/o a reinstall.  "There is no need for a
re-install" is an aboslute.  In your own words you have conceeded there will
be cases that there will be a need for a reinstall.

>BTW: You also want to keep /usr/local, /home and parts of /var.

    People generally seperate those out from / while /etc is not.  I did
state that one would be replacing the "Static" portions of the OS.
/usr/local, /home, /var, /tmp are rarely static.

--
             Steve C. Lamb             | Opinions expressed by me are not my
    http://www.calweb.com/~morpheus    | employer's.  They hired me for my