One of my friends just installed Slackware and had the same problem. He used the
2.0.35 kernel but I'm pretty certain you'll be fine with the 2.0.34. I don't
know what

kernel the latest bo comes with, but you might want to consider hamm, since
upgrading
from bo to hamm is a considerable pain but a fresh hamm install in ways can be
easier
than bo, specifically for you with this issue I would imagine.