On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, Stuart Marshall wrote:

 : Hi,
 :
 : I am having trouble getting my cable-modem working and I am wondering
 : if somebody out there knows the right way.  Here is the info:
 :
 : - works in win98
 : - looks like a subnet of a class A network (this could be my problem)
 : - ip address is 24.1.106.xxx           (xxx not shown)
 : - netmask from provider is 255.255.240.0
 : - gateway is 24.1.104.1
 : - dns server is 24.1.64.zzz
 : - domain set in resolv.conf

Address:        24.1.106.XXX
Netmask:        255.255.240.0
Network:        24.1.96.0
Broadcast:      24.1.111.255
Default GW:     24.1.104.1

I always test by pinging the local address first (this really pings the
lopback but at least it's a sanity check for your IP setup).  Then try
to ping the default gateway.  You should also be able to ping the
broadcast address (and get at least one reply :)

@Home uses proxy servers, so that may or may not cause you trouble.  It
shouldn't affect whether or not you can ping the default gateway,
however.

Finally, how are you connecting to the cable-modem?  We use LANCity
modems here, and their RJ-45 port is already crossed.  I don't mean to
sound condescending at all, but I've seen plenty of people who forgot to
use a crossover cable from the modem to a hub, or used a crossover from
the port to the PC ...

Hope this helps.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD