> > Anyway, is there a replacement for xdm. I know about kdm but I want to
> > use windowmaker so I don't want to take up all the space with kdebase
> > and libs and support...
> >
> >     Can I use kdm without all that or is there something else I can
> > use instead of xdm?
>
> Perhaps you should take a look at wdm, which is an xdm replacement with a
> NeXT-alike look and feel.  This should go perfectly with Window Maker.  I
> haven't tried it out myself yet, though.  You can find the Debian package
> in slink (and perhaps in hamm?).

I use wdm, and it's very nice.  Once you've installed the package (from
slink), it will put a new line in your /etc/X11/config file.  You'll need
to change it as follows:

start-xdm becomes no-start-xdm
no-start-wdm becomes start-wdm

The easiest way to restart it from there is to (heavens, no!) reboot.  I
don't keep my machine on all the time, so this is easiest for me.  Others
might have a safer solution.

hope that helps,
Joe