Hi,

As I have mentioned before I have a small company, now all 4 machines
have linux and I only dual boot 1 machine into NT when I have to run
powerdesigner or Delphi 3.

Now a customer has expressed an interest in moving to Linux. But whilst
out setup is fine for a small company of developers we would need to
install very differently for them.  Basically we would need the
following

1. 100% controlled application installation and management.

2. Users to be permitted to customize preferences (themes, preferences
etc)

3. Users to be able to roam and get their own setup on any machine (even
if the machines capabilities are different eg higher resolution
monitor).

4. Tight security control - no floppy drives for example.

5. Use of winframe technology to run windows applications (at least for
a migration period).

I would be looking at Debian with StarOffice 5 as the standard desktop.
There would also need to be a AutoCad replacement.

It seems to me that there are 2 common ways of working with multiple
users on *nix

a) A fast server and terminals - gives the control but not the
distributed processing.

b) PC's running linux connecting to a linux boxes as
web/file/print/application servers. But in this situation the PC's all
have independant linux installations and hence no central management
control.

Is there a 3rd way?  I wonder if something like:

Linux kernal and some configuration files on each PC but all other
elements of linux accessed from a central server. Users home directories
would be on the server as would /usr.  Applications only need to be
installed/configured on the server. Where there are different
configurations required for the various hardware options then these
would be on the local PC's (eg Xserver and XF86Config).

Does this sound crazy? I am really new to Linux but this is similat to
the way that we used to work Netware with Dos until windows came along
and spoiled it.

Are there any resources available that will let me find out more about
managing Linux on large LANS (we are looking at a small part of a 3,000
node LAN)?

Thanks

Dave