Thanks,
I spent the better part of the day trying to figure this one out.  Not only did
I lose the ablilty to become root, but my machine hung when trying to start the
postgresql postmaster (which I believe needed root privlages).  I was stumped
because I was able to boot up from my rescue disk and chroot to my system and
log in as root, but was not able to do it if I booted w/o the rescue disk.  Do
you know how the sysklogd was able to stop all login's, su's and my postgre?
                                Bill