> like the philosophy behind Debian.  I am wondering if Debian is just
> too difficult for me at this point.  I am wondering if maybe I should
> try Red Hat, I have heard it is easier to install, and then come back
> to Debian.  Does this sound like a logical progression to anyone?  I
> don't have experience with either one so I just don't know the best
> course to take.

in my experience debian is actually easier then redhat.  the reason people
say that redhat is easier is that it has more gui tools which do make the
very beginning a little easier but i find make anything beyond that
harder.

if debian is where you would like to end up, i'd say stick with it.  see
if you can find a local linux users group to hook up with, buy a couple
books (there is a debian book available from amazon that a friend just
bought that looks like a good introduction).  there are packages available
to make most stuff pretty easy, you're just at that stage where everything
is new and everything is confusing.

good luck!

adam.