On Thu, Dec 31, 1998 at 11:33:08AM -0600, Brent Hueth wrote:

> Ok, got my new debian system up and running at work (yahoo!!), now i'm
> trying to do the same at home. Everything seems to have installed
> properly, but i can't get my modem to respond. I tried a cat > /dev/
> ttyS1 atdt## to see if i could get a response, and nothing. I'm sure
> that the modem is on comm2, and that it works, because my wife is able to
> connect to our ISP on the windows side of the machine (I'm not doing a
> very good job of convincing her that she should abandon the dark
> side :)). Any suggestions?

Well the line should be `echo atdt### > /dev/ttyS1` One thing you need
to be sure of that the modem is not classified as a WinModem which
means that it wont work under Linux. If you post the make and model,
some one should be able to tell you if it is or isn't.

Ben Collins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                  Debian GNU/Linux
UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems Inc.                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]