Hi Jean,

you wrote on: 20 Jan 99 at 13:14 (received 21.01.99)
about       : _Re: dualboot linux and NT?_

>> That's exactly the problem, you need to have a FAT16-partition within the
>> first 1024 cylinders of the first harddrive. The so-called C: (speaking in
>> DOS-/Win-terms).
>
>This is clearly not true.  I have a dual boot configuration on my Dell
>Inspiron with one IDE harddrive configured as follows:
>
>  MBR           lilo

I'm sorry, I did not make myself clear enough: what I meant is, if you
have the NT-Bootmanager on the MBR of your hd, it needs the NTLDR,
NTDETECT.COM and BOOT.INI on the first Fat16-partition. I have the
following configuration (three SCSI-hds, each 2 GB):

MBR: NT-Bootmanager

sda1 Win 95 (fat 16) 1 GB
sda2 Win NT 4.0, SP3 (NTFS) 1 GB
sdb1 Linux (ext2) 1.9 GB
sbd5 Linux swap 0.1 GB
sdc1 Data (fat 16) 2 GB

And I boot LILO with the NT-Bootmanager, also works fine.

>  partition-1   Windows-NT, 4.0-service pack 4, NTFS
>  partition-2   FAT32, pagefile.sys, only used for virtual memory

How does that work? I was always under the impression, that Fat32 was not
supported by NT 4.0.

Kind regards    Frederick