On Sun, Mar 28, 1999 at 11:07:46AM +0200, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> On debian-devel there has been talk about a better setup with dpkg-like
> dependancies. This is a good thing. You don't have to bother with at
> which priority to place a new service. You can just say "this service
> must be started after networking and name services are available".

Oh, this would really rock if it would work for xdm; if I could say "only
start xdm once getty has grabbed all the virtual consoles listed for this
runlevel in inittab."

I've got a lot of people griping at me lately because the default
/etc/X11/xdm/Xservers file says server 0 is on vt7.  Folks who have
customized /etc/inittab and added virtual consoles are upset with that
default, caring not about the console lockup problems that so many other
people having experienced due to xdm beating getty to the punch on vt2.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |   Any man who does not realize that he is
Debian GNU/Linux                 |   half an animal is only half a man.