OK, my personal take on this:

I've been using a linux box for a couple of weeks after the PS in my
windows macihne died (well, using *only* linux).  I used that time to
learn a whole lot of stuff
about linux, and also see just how many apps I could replace from my
windows box.  I'd honestly like to use the windows CPU for the linux box
(overclocked celeron), but the fact it, Linux is lacking in a few VERY
important things:

1.  A "killer-app" X-windows e-mail client.  Unless someone knows about
something I don't, both 'Balsa' and 'M' don't cut it when compared to
Eudora.  As bloated as the latter may be, it still does thigns that no
other mail client does...things I need done.  And no, I'm against using
Netscape's mailer as it's nont intuitive, and I don't like suite apps.
Pine is out of the question also, as I quickly get tired of arrow keys for
navigation.

2.  You mentioned music composition...I dabble in it, and after doing more
of the same searching, linux is NOWHERE near windows (or Mac for that
matter) in this arena.  First off, there's very little support for
specialized sound cards (not just your regular sound-blaster compatibles,
but ones with DSP and other goodies).  Second, there are no sound
manipulation apps like Sound Forge...add to it plug-ins, and you quickly
realize that it's going to be YEARS until linux can even think of catching
up to Win/Mac in this department (it took Win a long time to catch up to
Mac, and that's still arguable)...and to top it off, Winamp, 'nuff said.

for just about everything else, I'd say that there are viable
alternatives, but needless to say, in a world where the biggest use for
the 'net is e-mail, and 'multi-media' is a buzz-word, these two categories
are huge.

the question is tho, other than electricity consumption, what's so wrong
with running more than one computer?

my two cents.
-lev

[snip]