[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I have a Pentium 200 MMX running Debian Linux v1.3.  The machine has
recently moved and now needs a new fixed IP as it is functioning as a
server.  What files need to be modified for this IP change?  I have
modified the file at /etc/init.d/network.  Is that the right thing to do?
help!
rick

First, there is a 'man interfaces' that does a good job explaining more examples and situations than you will probably ever experience.

Second, I will assume that you are moving from a dynamic IP address (DHCP) to a static IP address.

If that is the case, then in /etc/network/interfaces you should have a line that looks like:

iface eth0 inet dhcp

"Interface ETH0 is a internet(TCP/IP) connection - established by DHCP"

You need to change this to something static like:
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.10
netmask 255.255.255.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255
gateway 192.168.1.1

This just an example for a 24-bit network (netmask = 255.255.255.0) for my home.

If you are getting a static IP from your ISP, assume a DSL for example, then you will need to contact them if they have not provided you with the static IP information you need: Address, Netmask, Gateway as a minimum. From these, you can figure out the broadcast address, but they will typically give that to you as well.

IMPORTANT:
You will also need a line like:

auto eth0

to automatically start up this interface (eth0) when you boot.

MORE IMPORTANT:
If this needs to be firewalled (ipchains/iptables) you will have to put in a script to set up your firewall in /etc/network/if-up.d/ It will be run when you start up the interface.
(There is a comment in the 'man interfaces' about putting in a command to run when you go ifup/ifdown, but for iptables configuration, you would just put the file in the appropriate if-XX.d directory)

Hope this helps!

--
When the bosses talk about improving productivity, they are never talking
about themselves.