Greetings!

Does anyone by chance have Debian running on a machine with DAC960PL?
If so, I would appreciate any information as to how to install it.

I have a 1997 vintage dual PPro AST (?) server that I would like to
make the primary server on our network.  It has a Mylex DAC960PL Raid
controller with 4 drives connected.  The machine has no other drives,
although I guess I'll end up hooking one up to the Adaptec controller
on the motherboard if I cannot figure out a way to make the current
configuration work.

So far, I have compiled a custom 2.0.36 kernel with DAC960 support
(thanks to Leonard Zubkoff of Dandelion for the driver), ramdisk,
initrd, ext2, fat, minix, etc.  I replaced the kernel on the rescue
floppy so the Raid array is recognized at boot time.  I also modified
the root disk image to include /dev/rd/c0d* device files.  I can boot
and the kernel sees the array.  From the second virtual terminal I can
even do fdisk on it and mkfs on the primary partition(s).

However, it has so far proved impossible to create a file system on a
logical partition.  dbootstrap says the system has no hard disks to
install the system on.  I am obviously missing something.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I spent so
much time convincing the management that Linux was better that I
cannot afford them saying "Hey, you could have done it with NT a lot
easier!"

Thanks!

--
Andrew Permyakoff                  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity."
               R. A. Heinlein, Time Enough for Love