Kirk Hogenson wrote:

> Marc Mongeon wrote:
> >
> > But certainly this was intended to be an automated feature, right?
> > Is it a flag that you give to dpkg, or the compiled default in some
> > later version (I'm running 1.4.0.34, and have no Contents), or just
> > the result of a bunch of Debian users deciding it was a Good Idea
> > to schedule a cron job to download this file and put it in
> > /var/lib/dpkg?
> >
> > The way this file was referred to in this thread, it really sounded
> > like it was something that should exist, unless you took specific
> > steps to remove it from your system.
>
> I was the one who suggested looking in this file.  I had it on
> my system, and I don't remember downloading it (but the cron job
> idea is pretty good!), or copying it off my CDs.
>
> My impression was the everybody would have this file on their system
> automatically, and was surprised that this isn't the case.
>
> Maybe this file *used* to be installed (that's why I had it), but with
> everybody moving to apt and getting updates via the net, it was decided
> that it would be too difficult to keep it up-to-date, and it was
> dropped from the slink install.  Just a guess, though.
>
> Kirk

        For the life of me, I can't remember how I got the Contents file
either.  However, I don't believe it ever was part of a debian
package.  The reason I say this is because I keep a backup of
anything I use that didn't come from the distribution(s) on
debian.org.  I have a backup of Contents-i386 (its old enough now
that it may be less than usefull), but it is a tar.gz file, not
.deb.

--
Ed C.