David Brode wrote:

> 1.  I just added an ethernet card to my system (3Com SC509TP) and I
> understand that I'm supposed to use the driver 3c509.  My question is *how*
> do I get the system to load that driver?  (If I were installing linux again
> I could use dbootstrap, but I have the feeling there's an easier way.)  The
> boot msg doesn't have any "eht0" mention or any other mention of the card.
>
> 2.  how would your answer change if I told you I had TWO ethernet cards I
> wanted to install?

hi,

you need to reconfigure and compile a new kernel. Check out the
kernel-Howto and the debian FAQ's kernel section at:

http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/debian-faq-11.html

for more info. When you type make menuconfig in the /usr/src/linux
directory, one of the categories is Network Device Support. Under that,
select 3COM cards and then select the 3c509 driver.

I have two NICs installed. They are both the same and they are both
recognized at boot. If they're different, then I would think you just
select the driver needed as you did for the 3c509.

hth
--
                                         __   _
Mark Wagnon             Debian GNU/ -o) / /  (_)__  __ ____  __