Thanks for the reply Jim!

I have a standard NE2000 card (cheap one I got for about $20).

Everything was working fine until my last moves that I described below.  My
network was
working after the potato upgrade until I "fixed" the last two problems taht
dselect
caused.  I rebooted, and the network card was no longer detected.

The card is a ISA card.