>>   route add -host 24.5.xx.yy eth0
>>   route add -net 24.5.xx.yy -netmask 255.255.255.255 eth0

>       route add -net 24.5.xx.yy -netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0
>did NOT work ('route' complained about inconsistency)

You used FFFFFF00 as the netmask; this implies a 255-host subnet.
You do not want to do this.  If an FFFFFFFF subnet won't work
then you will have to use the -host option to route instead of
the -net option.

Also, remember to use the IP of the OTHER machine; I don't know if you did
or not, but it is important.  The idea is to tell the machine that the
best route to the other machine is not via the gw, but straight onto the
device.

Carl