Jumping in the middle here, so pardon me if I'm way off.  Is your Seagate
ST33210A an IDE drive?

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Ralph Winslow wrote:

> > What do you mean by "using the second"?
>
> I mean the second, Ramdisk, diskette.

You mean the disk it asks for after you boot the 'rescue" disk, right?

> I tried re-running it three times.  I'm reluctant to report a bug on
> Debian 1.0
> software, though.

Debian 1.0?  I'm going to assume you mean 2.0, in which case I have the
same disks...

> > What does dmesg report?

Your dmesg report doesn't mention /dev/hdd or the Seagate drive at all.  I
think that is the problem right there.  /dev/hdd would be secondary slave
IDE I think.  Can anything (maybe the BIOS) find the drive?

If you can run without the CD-ROM temporarily, how about setting the
Seagate as primary slave in place of the CD-ROM which is now /dev/hdb

Again, I'm sorry if I'm way off on this, I just finally saw something I
thought I might be able to answer.