On Fri, 20 Aug 1999 08:12:07 -0400, Ralph Winslow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>doesn't detect it, either.  I also notice that the HDD light on my
>generic (Kenitec) case stays constantly lit when the new drive is
>installed.  I don't know what to do about it, though.

  There's not much point in trying to install Linux to a drive that
isn't recognised by the BIOS, you'd better get that sorted first. The HD
light being on constantly could indicate a faulty drive or the cable
being connected the wrong way around. As someone else already mentioned,
setting the drive to slave mode when there is no master may also give
problems; try setting it to master or (if present) single mode (in which
case, when it works, it will have to be accessed as /dev/hdc).

  Gertjan.