Mike Werner wrote:

> I'm finally getting to the point with C that I plan on finally trying to
> hack together a few small programs that I've been thinking about for some
> time now.

> I'd like to also put together a GUI frontend for some of them
> at some point.  However I have zero experience with GUI programming.  I
> know that there are a number of different GUI toolkits out there - TCL/TK,
> GTK, Motif, Lesstif, and probably a bunch more.  Are there any that would
> be more recommended for a beginner?
>
> I'm not looking to do anything fancy yet - just the basics so I can learn
> how it all works.  Any ideas?

Tcl/Tk has nothing to do with C, they are actually two different
languages (Tcl and Tk). Motif and Lesstif are roughly the same (Lesstif
is a GPL'd source level compatible clone of Motif. Motif is commercial
and costs $$). I did my first GUI programming in Lesstif and it was not
all that difficult. You should be able to come up with a good
Lesstif/Motif tutorial on the 'net somewhere (see www.lesstif.org as
well). I haven't used GTK but I have heard that it is good and
especially that the tutorials are excellent. See www.gtk.org. Developer
deb's should be available for Lesstif & GTK. Qt is another option (the
library used by KDE), except that's supported best with C++.

Good Luck!
Matthew