Ross Boylan said:
> I have some more info, and it's pretty weird.  APC says, and my
> experience seems to confirm it, that you need a different serial cable for
> Unixy systems than Windows.  And if you want to dual boot, well, that's
> just too bad.

I remember a similar problem on a BackUPS pro I had a few years ago.
APC Powerchute worked fine in "smart" mode in win32, but not in linux.
After much testing with various linux UPS tools(one of which I got working
in smart mode ~20% of the time) I called APC and they told me something
similar, and sent me another cable free(the black smart cable that usually
comes with SmartUPSs), no problems after that.

though I never had it shut off immediately on power failure. I still have
my old backUPS 400, but it's had a dead battery for 4 years, haven't
gotten around to replacing it. Gave my BackUPS pro to a friend 2 years
ago..

while APC's products are expensive I've always been blown away by their
technical support(very smart & responsive in my experience same goes for
Sun and Cisco)

nate