> I found this file somewhere:
>

> c---r-----   1 8224     10280     49, 117 Dec  1  2031 fonts
>
> Can anybody tell me what that c is all about???

The c means that it is a character device, e.g. like /dev/tty or
/dev/psmouse.  However, since the group and user owners of the file seem
unknown to your system (the numbers 8224 and 10280), it looks more like
a file with screwed up attributes.  You could try to run an fsck on the
disk to see if it gets corrected, or try to remove it (maybe after a
chattr command to change the attributes).  This could be a symptom of a
dying disk, but then again, maybe it isn't.  When this type of problem
occurs people also often start talking about scary things like file
system debuggers.  Could someone more knowledgeable jump in on this?

> This 'thing' is the reason for some trouble with apt / dpkg (something to
> do with xlib6g-dev) perhaps this c has something to do with that.

Maybe it used to be a directory before it got screwed up?

HTH,
Eric

--
 E.L. Meijer ([EMAIL PROTECTED])