I installed the latest version of the base Debian system on an old 486 today (clean system). The installation seemed to work fine, but when I tried to boot from the hard disk, the letters LI appeared and the system froze. I re-booted from the rescue disk, and re-installed, but the problem persisted. Although I don't know if it's connected, the root directory claims to be set on read-only no matter how many times I set it otherwise. I tried, once again, to boot from the rescue disk, but it now also freezes after LI. I tried three different disks as rescue disks and rawrote the image many times, but the disk still does nothing but say LI. If anyone could help me either to boot or to re-install, I wouold appreciate it.

Lars