On Mon, Mar 20, 2000 at 02:00:52PM +0100, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > I recompiled a 2.0.36 kernel, of course I had to use gcc 2.72.  I copied
> > System.map all over known creation, made modules_install did depmod and
>
> just an idea: did you a "make dep clean" before "make install etc." when
> making the kernel?

Yep.

> and why depmod makes such weird things ...
> run "rm /lib/modules/2.0.36/modules.dep" - possibly it's write-protected
> or such thing.

I did that and it puts back the weird one.  Correction: it IS stamped 5
hours older than whenever it is created (boot).  I am at GMT -500 but this
seems backward for me...  What's up???  I *have* to mark it read-only
(immutable) to avoid the errors!

> your question, why all the geniuses are silent: we don't have your system
> in front of us. give a root login to somebody you trust and your problem
> will probably be fixed within minutes. we (mostly) are no clairvoyants.

I don't expect people to fix my problem, but something as simple as matching
modules and a kernel compiled at the same time from the same source...?
Don't tell me no one has ever done THAT...

Anyways, I did get much better response today (Hmm, monday...) and I thank
you all.

--
Jonathan Markevich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://members.xoom.com/JMarkevich

"[In 'Doctor' mode], I spent a good ten minutes telling Emacs what I
thought of it.  (The response was, 'Perhaps you could try to be less
abusive.')"
(By Matt Welsh)