> > kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> > (snipped)
> > > Your observation is probably sadly accurate -- people are coming to
> > > Linux with zero understanding of the command line or Unix philosophy.
> > > I'd prefer to see occasional ribbing a'la Oswald than a less featureful
> > > sig.
> > (snipped)
> > If your objective is to keep debian only for former and current Unix
> > users, then your proposal/attitude makes plenty of sense.
>
> Hardly.  I don't mind explaining the incantation.  Moreover, there's the
> remote possibility that either as a result of this explanation, or by
> way of independent research, someone might actually learn something and
> derive further insight.  It's elitist to the extent that it requires an
> ability to learn.  However, it's also a meritocracy -- anyone with
> ability can join this group.

My only point in all this (I think I'm the one who started it) was to respond
to the
word "sadly" in the above phrase, "sadly . . . people are coming to Linux with
zero
understanding of command line . . ."  (I realize I've altered that quote a
little
bit.)  People can't help it.  Most people in the real world do not use Unix at
work
and virtually nobody has it at home.  Linux is their first introduction to this
way of
doing things, and it's a pretty steep curve when you are trying to work it out
at home
after work.  I know because I am one of those people - reasonably fearless and
proficient with computers, but I've never even touched a machine with Unix
installed
on it. (of course I have mucked around in DOS)   I don't think it is sad that
people
are coming to Linux with no Unix experience.  I think it's great.  That doesn't
mean I
think anything should change about Debian to accomodate them, it just means we
should
be careful to be welcoming and not elitist, because even if it makes you feel
cool,
elitism never helps in the long run.  That's all.  I meant to nudge gently the
language used, not urge any wholesale OS changes.

Erik Ryberg