On Wed, May 17, 2000 at 07:59:01PM +0200, Marek Habersack wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] canonicalised to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> I use postfix and I suppose it does the same. In the situation where the

It does.

> lookup fails I suppose postfix appended my domain name even though the host
> with such derived name doesn't exist.

It's a straight textual substitution.  Look at the trivial-rewrite
manual page for details.  One thing you can do about things like this is
to reject unresolvable sender domains (perhaps accepting them from local
hosts if you do canonnicalisation or anything for them).

> > Even more obvious of the same thing is people who send mail as just
> > 'username' which gets canonified as [EMAIL PROTECTED] by each
> > recipient.  (Spammers do this reasonably often judging from how often
> > our users complain about it.)

> The original poster apparently used Exim, which does canonicalize local user
> names, unless it is misconfigured.

Given that his host was called "debian" I strongly suspect that that's
all he's got for a hostname.

> > Looks like the original sender needs to fix their mail setup to use the
> > fqdn.

> he, or one of the several relays that lie between him and the outer world...

Most of those relays appear to be the same box.

--
Mark Brown  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   (Trying to avoid grumpiness)
            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/