On Thu, May 25, 2000 at 12:06:12AM -0500, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> Jim McCloskey said:
> > When I upgraded from slink to frozen, though, I acquired a whole new
> > directory full---/var/log/keysmoops. And it's growing frighteningly
> > fast (doesn't seem to be under the control of the log rotation
> > system).
> >
> > I can't understand the information that's in these files and I haven't
> > been able to find any documentation that would tell me what this log
> > is for. I read debian-user regularly and I've searched the archives,
> > and I'm still none the wiser.
>
> Given that the directory isn't being rotated, is contantly growing,
> neither "keysmoop" nor "keysmoops" returns any hits on Google, and that
> "smoop" looks suspiciously like "snoop"...

i think he means /var/log/ksymoops:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] eb]$ dlocate -s ksymoops
Package: ksymoops
 The Linux kernel produces error messages that contain machine
specific
 numbers which are meaningless for debugging.  ksymoops reads machine
 specific files and the error log and converts the addresses to
 meaningful symbols and offsets.
 .
 This is a complete replacement for the version of ksymoops in the
 kernel.  Older versions of ksymoops were in scripts/ksymoops.cc, more
 recently there was a version in the scripts/ksymoops directory.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] eb]$

> I'm inclined to suspect that your system has been invaded and a bogus log
> (possibly recording all keystrokes entered, judging by the name) has been
> initiated.

nah see above

[snip lots of uneeded steps due to typo of `keysmoops' instead of ksymoops]

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/