No need to recompile the kernel. Your kernel should either have serial port
support
compiled in or in a module. On your server try 'cat /dev/ttyS0' If you get an
error:

cat: /dev/ttyS0: No such device

Then your kernel doens't have support. Otherwise it does. Now you just need to
run a
getty on the port. This is the process that actually listens to the port for
connections and allows you to log in. init starts the getty processes. Add the
following line to /etc/inittab:

S0:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 ttyS0

To get init to reread /etc/inittab and start up a getty just run 'kill -HUP 1'
or
reboot. Now inittab will start a getty process on the port, setting it to 38400
baud.
Of course you can change the baud to match whatever you're coming in at from
your
terminal server. You should now be table to log into your machine if it's got a
crossover cable hooked up to COM1 (yes, you definitely do need a crossover cable
unless it's a modem hooked up to COM1; computers and terminals are wired DTE on
their
serial ports so this is necessary).