Hi everyone,

The kde.tdyc.com Woody tree for kde2 has been emptied, I'm sure of it because I
used to apt kde2 from there. I happened to have been reinstalling my Woody box
from scratch yesterday (the 6th), starting from a couple of potato disks. All
went well, but when it came to installing kde2 binaries I had to use the potato
branch instead. One would expect it to be the same packages, but I doubt if
everything is cleanly organized at the moment; at least the kde2 install wasn't
good, it froze on startup with its dcopserver not starting. I had to revert to
kde1.1.2 because I couldn't solve it.

I did also compile kde2 from source a week or two ago. You need to compile qt2.2
first. It worked but wasn't very stable; at least I could use konqueror and
koffice from within kde1.1.2. Binary deb packages are of course much easier.

Anyway, I hope that the kde2 debs will be added to the normal debian mirrors
soon and hopefully they'll recompile them and check their cooperation with the
normal Debian X scripts. Debian is the only distro, I'm afraid to say, that gave
me and for some reason is continuing to give me troubles with kde.

I certainly hope the most recent and fully incomprehensible RMS rants against
the kde project (*after* the GPL'ing of qt was announced - see yesterday's
slashdot) have nothing to do with this, otherwise I just might switch to
Slackware or freebsd.

If anyone knows anything more about this I'd be more than happy to hear about
it.

Best regards,

Danny