I have a similar problem. Maybe even worse.. If I change the way the hard
drives are connected (like swap hda and hdb), changin the master/slave
jumpers, the system does not boot at all...
I had to find, what it seems a unique configuration in which it boots, but
no DMA on the second IDE channel. I could turn DMA on with hdparam and as
soon as I accessed the disk, it was disabled as in your case...
I gave-up... I blame it on the stupid PIIX (Triton) chip, I have...
Or maybe I am stupid, which is possible too :-)
Anyway, I am following this thread with interest... :-)