said Faheem Mitha (on 2003-02-10),

> I was wondering if any people on this group do volunteer work using
> their knowledge/expertise with Debian/Free Software to help deserving
> causes. I'm particularly thinking of progressive groups here.

> I was wondering how difficult it would be.

TAO Communications and resist.ca are volunteer operated and use Debian
GNU/Linux on all their servers.

resist.ca provides network services to Vancouver BC "progressive" groups
and labour unions.

The Vancouver Community Net recently switched their servers from solaris
to linux on intel hardware.  they have both paid staff and volunteers
doing geek work.  VCN provides free email accounts and free dialup in the
Vancouver BC area.  They also locally administer the Government of
Canada's Computer Access Program (CAP) which places public internet
terminals in various community locations.

TAO is similar to resist.ca.  TAO is disorganized/unstructured and is
difficult to become involved with unless you live in the Toronto area.
Currently they are shedding their skin and morphing into "OAT".

http://www.vcn.bc.ca
http://www.resist.ca
http://www.tao.ca
http://oat.tao.ca

Also there is the "techfed."  I don't know a whole lot about this group.

http://notes.techfed.net

Geordie.