Hello,

I found indymedia.org several months ago.  A channel from Iran is
starting and those individuals have asked for technical help.  I don't
know what OS they are using, but I assume they would be open to a
reasonable suggestion to run free software.  This was the site, but it
appears that they suffered a major hardware failure recently.

http://freeform3.bandwidthcoop.org/

You might also be interested in process.indymedia.org .

I haven't yet had the time, but I have also wanted to research and put
together something about free streaming media.  I wrote someone at the
Village Voice complaining that their supposed 'independent' audio
streams were being broadcast in a format I could not play.  Someone
wrote back explaining that Realplayer is really expensive and Windows
Media player is cheaper to license.  Once I put together some
information about free streaming options, I plan to send it to him.
Both these organizations, and I assume many others that run Windows,
operate on very little money.  Using free software could save them a
lot of money for their mission, so many should be amenable to the
suggestion to switch over.

I would say if you are interested in volunteering your knowledge and
abilities, contact an organization you care about and tell them what
you want to do for them.  Very few people turn down free assistance,
especially if they will believe it can save money in the future.  Good
luck.

Brian