* Tom Marshall ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) [010108 12:34]:
> > Is there a general disapproval from service providers regarding
> > servers?  I wasn't planning on a news server, but I do have a web
> > server and ftp server (in addtion to sshd) on my machine.  If possible
> > I would also like to run a mailing list.
>
> I think that in general, the cablemodem providers disapprove of running
> servers while DSL providers don't.  This will obviously vary from provider
> to provider, but AT&T owns the lion's share of the cable market.

I have DSL via Mindspring (now Earthlink ??) and users *are* allowed to run
servers, more or less unrestriced by the ISP. They do warn of the security
issues with doing so and how they're not liable, blah, blah. I don't know about
other DSL providers... As you mention though, I think most cable providers do
*not* allow any servers (specifically http, mail, and news). They don't block
all ports though. For example, port 6699, used by Napster, seems to be open.

Regards
Hall Stevenson